In general, Shuku-Bo means an accommodation facility annexed to a temple.
Originally, it was to serve priests, congregations, parishioners or visitors as the base for their religious activities.
Also, Shuku-Bo was a place where visitors received purification and/or orientation on manners of visiting a temple/shrine.
In Edo Period (1603-1868) pilgrimage to temples and shrines became a popular leisure of general public, such as visiting Ise Shrine, Kompira Shrine or Zenko-ji Temple. In order to accommodate increasing number of pilgrims, major temples and shrines started to build Shuku-Bo to serve them as a place of San-Ro (confinement in a temple/shrine for a certain period to pray), and more and more Shuku-Bo were built across the country.
In early Meiji Era (1868-1912), Haibutsu Kishaku movement (abolish Buddhism, destroy Shakamuni) broke out. As the movement intensified, Shuku-Bo, a place to propagate Buddhism, inevitably began to decrease in number.
Responsibility for the wording of this article :
Regional Shrines/Temples Tourism Council
“A form of Shuku-Bo observed in Kurama-Dera pilgrimage in medieval age ? a linch-pin between the temple and people”
authored by Hidetoshi Noji. The article appeared in the 35th issue of 『The Oryo shigaku』in 2009.
Japan Tourism Association for Shrines and Temples
Regional Shrines Temples Tourism Council
Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 2-8-16 Kowa Akasaka Building 2F
TEL : 03-6416-0166 / FAX : 03-6230-0349